The Mercer Building/M's Pub
CLIENT: Mercer Management
LOCATION: Omaha, NE
ARCHITECT: BVH Architecture
Originally built by the Mercer family in 1905 as a banana warehouse, Mark Mercer developed the upper floors into living spaces and commissioned architects Hartman, Morford, Bowen to design M’s Pub in 1972.
In January 2016, a gas line explosion and ensuing fire destroyed M’s Pub and much of the Mercer Building, leaving a burned-out shell. After convincing the City to hold off on demolishing the building, BVH Architecture, engineering consultants and Lund-Ross were hired by the Mercer Management Co. to develop a stabilization plan. Lund-Ross was then contracted to rebuild the shell, including replacing the roof, floor structures, and a portion of the brick walls. M’s Pub owner Ann Mellen asked that the original space be replicated. Fortunately, the original plans were found, and after a year of construction, a new M’s Pub reopened in November 2017.
The original restaurant utilized the basement for the main restrooms and much of the food production. The restoration included moving the restrooms and kitchens to the main floor via a new 16-foot wide addition along the north side of th original brick archway. Lund-Ross crews completed all of the detailed finish carpentry throughout the building.